15 Healthy Eating Out Tips
Eating Healthy When Eating at a Returant
If you go out to eat at a restaurant, you might need to watch your calories closely. Of course it's all going to depend on how much you eat out and what your goals are. To help you with your calorie watching when eating out, these 15 tips ans swaps will assist you make the most of it.
1. Always order salad dressings or sauces on the side
it will help you have control how much you add to your dish as they contain the most calories.
2. When you eat grilled fish or vegetables, you have to ask that it be grilled with no butter or oil, or at least be prepared with very little of either butter or oil.
3. Anytime you order pasta dishes, ask for tomato based sauces rather than the cream based sauces . Tomato based sauces are much lower in fat and calories than the creamy sauce, also tomato sauce can be counted as a vegetable!
4. Always drink water Always try to drink water, diet soda, black coffee or tea instead of regular soda or beverages that contain alcohol.
5. If you order dessert, share with someone Half of the dessert means half of the calories.
6. When you choose a soup pick a broth based soup keep in mind that cream based soups are higher in fat and calories than other soups. A soup can be a great appetizer, choose one that is low in calories and it will fill you up pretty fast.
7. When ordering baked potato, choose salsa rather than sour cream, butter or cheese Salsa has very low calorie content and provides a healthier alternative with much flavor and spice.
8. When you are full, stop eating Listen to what your body tells you. If you get full, take the rest of your meal home. This portion of your meal can serve as a second meal later. and you saved money as well.
9. Order two appetizers order two smaller appetizers instead of a large meal or an appetizer and a salad as your meal
10. What do you choose as side dishes ? ask for steamed vegetables or baked potato instead of french fries.
11. Always look for items on the menu that are steamed, broiled, grilled, baked or poached These types of foods use less fat in the cooking process and are usually much lower in calories as compared to fried foods.
pick Poached over fried eggs. Fried eggs are pan-fried with lots of oil while eggs are poached in water. also choose egg whites over whole eggs for omelet. Whole eggs are great but when you go out the omelets can contain lots of eggs. Swapping out whites cuts down on fat and calories and keeps protein high. choose black or pinto beans over refried. Refried are often cooked with oil or lard. this applies when going out not with canned beans.
12. Plain bread or rolls are low in both fat and calories Don't add oil or butter, otherwise you increase the fat and calorie intake, choose Toast instead of a bagel
13. Choose dishes with fruits and vegetables Both vegetables and fruits are great sources of dietary fiber as well as many vitamins and minerals
Order a fruit bowl instead of fruit juice. the flavor is better and both calories and sugar are less
14. Choose foods made with whole grains examples are whole wheat bread and dishes made with brown rice.
15. If you crave dessert, look for something with low fat such as berries or fruits.
Seven more quick tips
1. Use a lettuce wrap for sandwiches or burgers over refined white bread.
2. Shrimp or seafood is a protein choice it's generally lower in calories and fat depending on the way of cooking.
3. look out for health claims like paleo, gluten-free, or sugar-free which does not necessarily make them healthier.
4. Cholesterol-free does not mean fat-free.
5. Light does not always mean light in calories or fat.
6. Low carb doesn't mean low-calorie.
7. Don't be afraid to ask for your food to be prepared like you want it. They will do what you want and can meet your needs and preferences. For instance at many steakhouses you can ask for steak prepared with seasonings but no butter. Or ask for veggies steamed without butter or oil.
Always remember not to deprive yourself of the foods you truly love. All types of foods can fit into a well balanced diet..
Don't let anyone tell you how to eat your food. Don't let guilt force you to finish because if it's food that our body doesn't appreciate it's a waste whether we throw it away or finish it if we don't want to finish it. and remember especially when going out to eat, it's all a matter of Mind Over Munch.